Visual & Performing Arts
Our music specialists provide quality music education to elementary students in a variety of ways. We work together in a Professional Learning Community to share ideas and methodology to enhance what we teach our students. Several of our educators are certified in Orff and/or Kodaly which are significant approaches to teaching music to young learners. Throughout our elementary schools, you will find educators teaching a standards-based curriculum utilizing songs, folk dances, movement, chants/speaking, technology, and a variety of instruments including percussion, guitars, ukuleles, and recorders. If chosen, some students will have an opportunity to participate in an annual Catawba All-County Chorus music experience.
Beyond Crayons and paper:
We offer a multi-step approach to our arts curriculum. Students are given the opportunity to explore visual literacy, art history, hands-on art-making, collaboration with peers, and the function of art in today’s society.
Students will be able to:
- Communicate ideas visually
- Create artworks using a variety of materials.
- Apply and use art vocabulary using creative and critical thinking skills
- Recognize artwork from masters and multiple time periods
- Analyze and evaluate own work and those of others
- Interpret the effect of technology on visual arts
- Understand art’s function in society